Bell Tech 386 SysVr3

RICHARD RONTELTAP richard at neabbs.UUCP
Fri Aug 19 09:15:07 AEST 1988

> different vendor catagories under the specific processors. Here is
an
> example of what I mean:

> comp.unix.i286                  General 80286 UNIX discussions
> comp.unix.i386                  General 80386 UNIX discussions
> comp.unix.i286.microport        For System V/AT
> comp.unix.i386.microport        For System V/386
> comp.unix.i386.ix               For IX from Interactive for the
80386
> comp.unix.i286.xenix            For 80286 Xenix
> comp.unix.1386.xenix            For 80386 Xenix
>
> I know this idea will create a half dozen new groups, but it
> will certanly keep similar interests togeather. Also there
> should be no big deal about several subdivisions, it's only a
> couple extra subdirectories on our systems :-)

I don't think this is a good idea. Because of ignorance or
getting maximum response, people will cross post in most of
these groups. This may be slightly annoying voor local terminal
news readers, but some people, like me read the news via modem!

Also I can't remember what the reason was for splitting into 286
and 386.  For example: my 286 and 386 XENIX's are almost
identical. The only obvious difference being that the 386
version can execute and generate (cc) 386 code.

Richard
(...!mcvax!neabbs!richard)