Bell Tech 386 SysVr3 (really a put-down of Xenix)

Greg Woods woods at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
Sat Aug 6 13:05:11 AEST 1988

In article <1090 at turnkey.TCC.COM> sandy at turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz) writes:
>In article <1585 at spdcc.COM>, dyer at spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>> line and 3 Trailblazers.  No character loss on any of the lines, and yes,
>> I have stats from my UUCP log and from interactive use while all the lines

Have you tried the worst case test?  (ie: transmit from the high
priority port to the low-pri one with only XON/XOFF flow control?)

>> --
>> Steve Dyer
>> dyer at harvard.harvard.edu
>> dyer at spdcc.COM aka {harvard,husc6,linus,ima,bbn,m2c,mipseast}!spdcc!dyer
>
>Steve,
>
>Let's talk about apples with apples: The Intel 286 "C" compiler and the
>Microsoft "C" compiler ......... Intel--- No medium or huge models

Huge doesn't work that well, and isn't worth the trouble.  Only one of
the "medium" models is missing.

>                                 MS ---- The register usage is well
>                                         thought out.

But broken.  I had to remove register declarations from a lot of code
(with -Dregister=) before it worked.

>Let's talk about apples with apples: The Intel 386 "C" compiler and the
>Microsoft "C" compiler ......... Microport thought so much about the Intel
>                                 compiler that they don't use it anymore!

Neither does Interactive, nor AT&T.

>                                 MS compiler -- already has the hooks in it
>                                 for other models other than small.

Now, what will you do with them?  Writing 64 terabyte programs these days?
Like the rest of the 32-bit world, I'm happy with 4 Gb.  Where will you
get a 386 OS to handle such a program anyway?

>Now to brass tacks! The interactive Unix system comes with only the provision
>for a two getty system. If you want more, you must buy the multi-user license.
>SCO Xenix already gives you nearly an unlimited multi-user system. The response

You're a victim of the AT&T System V licensing policies, which I happen
to like.  It cut their royalties in the high end market.  It's
unbundling I don't like.

--
						Greg Woods.

UUCP: utgpu!woods, utgpu!{ontmoh, ontmoh!ixpierre}!woods
VOICE: (416) 242-7572 [h]		LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada