WD1006 Controller on 386/ix

Chip Salzenberg chip at ateng.UUCP
Wed Aug 3 03:02:19 AEST 1988

According to james at bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen):
>Well, I don't recompile emacs too often, but perl, dist (does anyone
>have dist working on SysVr3?) and the various news packages get
>recompiled all the time ...

WARNING:  MEMORY HOG ALERT:

Some of the more frequently-used programs can have their load times reduced
dramatically by setting the sticky bit (chmod +t).  This will load the
program text once and leave it in memory, waiting for its next invocation.
(As distributed, Xenix has the sticky bit set on /bin/ls.) I have found this
approach to be very effective with my text editor; Perl is another obvious
choice.

--
Chip Salzenberg                <chip at ateng.uu.net> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering                My employer may or may not agree with me.