Xenix Mail User Interfaces

Chip Salzenberg chip at ateng.UUCP
Wed Aug 3 02:40:06 AEST 1988

According to jpp at slxsys.specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt):
>1)  The sco mail program can be told (set execmail) to call
>    /usr/lib/mail/execmail to deliver mail.

OK so far; put "set execmail" in /usr/lib/mail/mailrc.  BUT...

>You replace execmail with a link to smail and tell smail to use the
>old execmail program (I call it execmail.sco) as a local delivery agent.
>This may or may not work for altos Xenix.

Linking smail to execmail is _not_ recommended.  Execmail's command line
options are _not_ the same as smail's.

Below is a sharchive of my program "execm".  It is a replacement for
execmail for use with in systems with smail installed.

"Shar and enjoy."

#! /bin/sh
# This is a shell archive.  Remove anything before this line, then unpack
# it by saving it into a file and typing "sh file".  To overwrite existing
# files, type "sh file -c".  You can also feed this as standard input via
# unshar, or by typing "sh <file", e.g..  If this archive is complete, you
# will see the following message at the end:
#		"End of shell archive."
# Contents:  execm.c
# Wrapped by chip at ateng on Tue Aug  2 12:38:17 1988
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb ; export PATH
if test -f 'execm.c' -a "${1}" != "-c" ; then
  echo shar: Will not clobber existing file \"'execm.c'\"
else
echo shar: Extracting \"'execm.c'\" \(747 characters\)
sed "s/^X//" >'execm.c' <<'END_OF_FILE'
X/*
X * execm.c
X *
X * This program is a substitute for Xenix's /usr/lib/mail/execmail.
X *
X * Written by Chip Salzenberg (chip at ateng.UUCP).
X * Released to Usenet on 01 Dec 1987.
X *
X * Do what you want with it; I'm not responsible for lost mail,
X * but I don't expect that this little program will lose anything.
X */
X#include <stdio.h>
Xmain(argc, argv)
Xint     argc;
Xchar    **argv;
X{
X	char *progname = argv[0];
X	/*
X	 * Drop the execmail options.
X	 */
X	while (argv[1][0] == '-')
X	{
X		switch (argv[1][1])
X		{
X		case 'f':
X		case 'h':
X			argv += 2;
X			break;
X		default:
X			++argv;
X			break;
X		}
X	}
X	argv[0] = progname;
X	execv("/usr/bin/smail", argv);
X	execv("/bin/smail", argv);
X	fprintf(stderr, "%s: can't execute smail!\n", progname);
X	exit(1);
X}
END_OF_FILE
if test 747 -ne `wc -c <'execm.c'`; then
    echo shar: \"'execm.c'\" unpacked with wrong size!
fi
# end of 'execm.c'
fi
echo shar: End of shell archive.
exit 0

--
Chip Salzenberg                <chip at ateng.uu.net> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering                My employer may or may not agree with me.