Bell Tech 386 SysVr3 (really a put-down of Xenix)

Bill Kennedy bill at carpet.WLK.COM
Tue Aug 30 17:56:29 AEST 1988

In article <945 at cerebus.UUCP> ronc at cerebus.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) writes:
>Sigh.  And another reason you may not see too much criticisim
>of Xenix in this newsgroup is that such articles draw personal
>attacks from Xenix zealots.  I would have expected this from
>one of those pre-pubescent bulletin boards, but expected a more
>civilized response from a Usenet technical newsgroup.

I take offense at that and I most certainly do not qualify as a Xenix
zealot.  I have a Xenix system, a Microport V/AT, and an AT&T 386 UNIX,
each for a different reason, and in no case is zeal involved at all.
As a reader of each of the groups this was posted to, I think that the
response was measured and appropriate.  I suggest you change "Sigh" to
"Yawn", the former indicates interest, the latter seems to better fit
snobbery.

>If the answer to my question was so trivial, why didn't SCO answer
>it over the phone?  A simple "you need the Telebit disk" would have
>sufficed.  SCO's "hotline" may be single-handedly keeping the other
>Intel-based unix flavors in business.

Because they don't have technical personnel answering the switchboard
phones, wasn't that obvious?  Didn't you gripe about that?  Why should
a switchboard operator know about that?  Were you left in the lurch?
Didn't countless people suggest "you need the Telebit disk"?  Did you
call back and ask for it?  If my experience is any barometer you did
not because I got mine by return mail.  What's wrong with having non-tech's
answer the phone?  Call IBM at Armonk (since you said "big iron"), can
the switchboard operator send you the Telebit disk?  What do they say?

>I see I was correct in my decision to stick to big iron.  Leave
>PC's to the children.

Fine, stick to the big iron and quit grousing in the children's newsgroup.
You were politely told what solution to pursue, you reject that, so go away.
--
Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill at ssbn.WLK.COM
                Usenet:  { killer | att | rutgers | uunet!bigtex }!ssbn!bill