new groups for iX86 unix (was: Bell Tech 386 SysVr3)

The Cat in the Hat davidbe at sco.COM
Sat Aug 20 03:12:38 AEST 1988

A long long time ago in an article far far away (<55 at volition.dec.com> to be exact) vixie at decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) said:
-
-On this basis, I think that two newsgroups,
-	comp.unix.sysv.i286   and
-	comp.unix.sysv.i386
-will divide the traffic according to the interests of the people who would
-be reading it.  There would be no cause for cross-posting.  Both groups
-should be moderated.  The old groups,
-	comp.unix.xenix       and
-	comp.unix.microport
-should be destroyed in favor of these new groups.
-
-I am still waiting for someone to give any reason -- even a flimsy reason --
-why this separation is not a good idea.

Well...you want reasons, I've got some.  I've been reading comp.unix.xenix
for a while, and haven't noticed a need for splitting up the group via
processor.  The arguments talking about the merged product are fairly bogus
(in my opinion, of course) until such a product is actually released.

It's important to note that there tends to be little in the way of "How do
I do this for Y system on an N86?"  Most of the questions I see are for
explanations of compiler errors (infinte spill), requests for diffs to
source code to allow Xenix compilation, and recommendations for hard/software.
None of these requests require a splitting of groups.

And also, I don't think there's enough volume to need splitting up the groups.
People can kill articles easily enough without a long delay.

The whole reason for creating comp.unix.microport was because of the flames
that were flying in c.u.x about Mport.  While this may have been for the
better of the group (given human nature) I think it potentially hurt the
newsgroup.  If I felt better about moderation in this type of group, I'd
suggest a moderated comp.unix.intel-arch for the discussion of Xenix and
other Unix and Unix-like OS's that run on intel machines.  An unmoderated
version of this wouldn't be so bad if there were a comp.unix.flame...(.5 :-) )

After all, when the 486 comes out are we going to create a whole new newsgroup
just for that?

--
David Bedno (aka The Cat in the Hat) Now appearing at: davidbe at sco.COM -OR-
...!{uunet,decvax!microsoft,ucbvax!ucscc}!sco!davidbe -OR-

"If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything."