Bell Tech 386 SysVr3 (really a put-down of Xenix)

Dr. T. Andrews tanner at ki4pv.uucp
Sun Aug 28 23:51:07 AEST 1988

In article <7013 at icdi10.uucp>, fr at icdi10.uucp (Fred Rump from home) writes:
) In article <936 at cerebus.UUCP>, ronc at cerebus.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) writes:
) [ In article <1585 at spdcc.COM[ dyer at spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
) [ As for support, we called SCO today with a trivial question about
) [ their uucp, and they scheduled an answer for next Tuesday.
)
) I don't know when you called for next Tuesday, but our arrangement gives us
) call backs within the hour.

It should be noted that SCO has multiple levels of support.  It
starts with the "we can write that down, but we won't forward it
to anyone to be fixed" plan (very economical plan; however, as I
don't recall being pleased when they told me this in reponse to a
bug report, it may not be a popular plan).

The high end of SCO support costs more than the product itself.
Yes, accepting bug reports counts as "support".  Yes, the fast
call-back is for real.  No, it doesn't mean that the bugs will
necessarily be understood or fixed, but someone WILL have listened.

Better: in the next release, many times, the bug will be fixed.
Not always, and you can be sure that you won't get useful feed-back
for reporting the bug (after paying for the privilege), but they
do have two things which set them ahead of one other big vendor:
they do often fix the bugs, and have a better than 50% success rate
on actually shipping things when they say that they will!
--
...!bikini.cis.ufl.edu!ki4pv!tanner  ...!bpa!cdin-1!cdis-1!ki4pv!tanner
or...  {allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}!ki4pv!tanner