Bell Tech 386 SysVr3 (really a put-down of Xenix)

Fred Rump from home fr at icdi10.uucp
Sat Aug 27 00:43:06 AEST 1988

In article <936 at cerebus.UUCP>, ronc at cerebus.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) writes:
[ In article <1585 at spdcc.COM[ dyer at spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
[ >When someone flames so strongly about a product and company as you have,
[ >presenting some evidence and more invective, when that is contrary to a lot
[ >of people's reported experience, it's worth wondering what's going on.
[ >What's your support experience been with SCO?  What were the applications
[ >you were running?  Situations differ, but this is quite anomalous.
[
[ It could be that you don't see a lot of traffic on problems with Xenix
[ because a lot of people struggling with Xenix don't have access to
[ Usenet because they can't get the gol-durned uucp to work.  When you're
[ effectively cut off from the rest of humanity, your voice is small and
[ thin indeed.

Ok, few Xenix users are on the net. How would you like about 300,000 new
sites hang this net by the b****?

I'm sure many of the voices you hear from Xenix folks are from developers and
VARS who individually represent many other users of their systems. While
conversly many of the 286/386 sys5 talkers bought one for themselves to play
with because they use big daddy at work and it was cheap.

You seem to forget entirely that SCO/Microsoft Xenix sales are substantially
bigger than AT&T UNIX
world out of pure love for the essence of standards?

And as far as Xenix users not being on the net, maybe they're just quietly
listening as nodes of somebody's feed site but have little to add to the
conversation.  They do have work to perform and this news business takes a
little time - just a little.  In our case we have users all over this land.
We feed them what is meaningful.  Most talk here is entirely too technical for
the Xenix user.

Since even the term UUCP would be a meaningless acronysm we just show them
how to use it, not how it works. Hell I don't know that either.

[ As for support, we called SCO today with a trivial question about
[ their uucp, and they scheduled an answer for next Tuesday.  The
[       Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)

I don't know when you called for next Tuesday, but our arrangement gives us
call backs within the hour. Perhaps you bought the 'call back next Tuesday'
plan for support. I would guess that Fujitsu can afford to pay for regular
support or you can always get a good VAR to help you out.

--
{allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}!ki4pv!cdis-1!cdin-1!icdi10!fr
26 Warren St.              or ...{bellcore!bpa rutgers!bpa}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr