Xenix/386 and 386 clones

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.UUCP
Fri Aug 26 06:46:58 AEST 1988

In article <486 at yunccn.UUCP> landolt at yunccn.UUCP (J. Paul Landolt) writes:
>I was interested in purchaseing a 386 AT clone for the purpose of
>runninf SCO Xenix/386 on it.  I am currenly using Xenix/386 for the
>Compaq at work.
>
>	From what a friend tells me, Xenix 386 will only run on the
>Compaq and the PS/2-80, since SCO developed custom versions of Xenix
>to run on these machines.

Absolutely false.

We handle the Televideo line, and I can assure you that SCO Xenix works fine
on the Tele-386 systems.... (in fact, it works great).

MOST other clones will also run it, but beware of any cheapening in the box
-- memory, DMA and other problems all show up fast under Xenix if you've got
any flaky components....  The only *SURE* gotcha is if your '386 chip is
lacking the double "sigma" signs on it -- then you have a 16-bit code only
version which will definately not work.

The Tele's have been rock solid reliable for us and our customers.

--
Karl Denninger (ddsw1!karl) Data: (312) 566-8912, Voice: (312) 566-8910
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    "Quality solutions at a fair price"