Xenix/386 and 386 clones

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Fri Aug 26 04:52:32 AEST 1988

In article <486 at yunccn.UUCP> landolt at yunccn.UUCP (J. Paul Landolt) writes:
| I was interested in purchaseing a 386 AT clone for the purpose of
| runninf SCO Xenix/386 on it.  I am currenly using Xenix/386 for the
| Compaq at work.

  Most of the clones on the AT bus will work. The Dell310, PC Designs
GV386 (and all clones based on the AMI motherboard, sometimes sold as
Mylex), VESTA 386 (are they still selling?), UNISYS (several models),
etc. I've only found a few that wouldn't run if they had a regular AT
type controller. The Dell and Compaq are ESDI (or at any rate, not
ST506), but they look like a standard controller.

  One thing to test right after installation: use the "dump" utility to
backup to floppy. This runs two DMA channels and the CPU in one block of
memory, and has caused parity on almost half the machines I've used.
Nothing that a memory fix won't cure, but catch it while the warrantee
is good.

  The old ALR with the ST506 controller worked, and I'm told the
"Flexcache" version does, but it may need the ESDI version of Xenix.
Many others work, these are just the ones I've tried in the last year
or so.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)