Irwin tape under '386

Tom Yager tyager at maxx.UUCP
Mon Jun 6 09:01:54 AEST 1988

After getting a list of supported tape drives from SCO, I purchased an Irwin
40MB drive. I like it a lot, with one exception: there doesn't seem to be a
way to put multiple tar, cpio or dump volumes on one tape. I have heard this
before. In fact, the on-line docs for tar say that the 'r' option cannot be
used with tape devices. I think that's where it would be most useful.

It's not the tape drive's fault--I'm sure it is stupid enough to just do as
it is told, and Irwin's DOS software has no trouble appending stuff at the
end of an archive.

Two questions come of this: 1) has anyone written a program, compatible or
otherwise (with tar, etc.) to write files to an Irwin drive which permits
appending? and 2) could someone send me a sample of code showing how to
manipulate the drive (just show read, write, and positioning) so that I
might cook up my own?

I've tried calling the manufacturer (Irwin) to get a summary of commands for
the drive. I was not able to find any Xenix documentation which lists the
commands recognized by the driver. Did I get fooled into buying one of the
famous "nobody's babies?"

Thanks to all in advance. Responses via Email, please.
(ty)

--
-----
Tom Yager
E-Mail:  ... decvax!mkunix!maxx!tyager --or-- ...tyager%maxx at m2c.m2c.org
"Eat a live toad in the morning; nothing worse will happen to you that day."