386/ix platform wanted

John R. Levine johnl at ima.ISC.COM
Fri Jun 24 05:49:32 AEST 1988

I need a good cheap box on which to run 386/ix.  In principle, any 386 AT
clone should work, but I've had enough experience with "100% compatible"
equipment to want to know that I'm not the first to put a system together.

In rough order of importance:

	-- 386 CPU at 16 or 20MHz
	-- 3 or 4 MB memory, ability to expand later useful
	-- 70MB or better disk drive, preferably fast, and a floppy
	-- Known to run 386/ix
	-- Decent service

Some friends of mine in Rockland Maine are interested in getting one too; a
machine on which one could get service there would be nice. Having someone
come out to fix it would be a lot better than having to mail it to, say,
Texas. The going rate for stripped 386 boxes is about $2500-3000, so I'd
expect to pay between $4000 and $5000 for the system. (For the friends in
Maine, the competition is a $20,000 Altos box so even if it costs a lot more
to get one they can get fixed, it still is a big win.)

Send me mail, I'll summarize.  TIA,
--
John R. Levine, IECC, PO Box 349, Cambridge MA 02238-0349, +1 617 492 3869
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine at YALE.something