HDB UUCP for SCO Xenix

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.UUCP
Mon Jun 13 03:33:05 AEST 1988

In article <11204 at steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <266 at mjbtn.UUCP> root at mjbtn.UUCP (Mark J. Bailey) writes:
>| Well, with SCO uucp "as is" being brain-damaged, is there any third party
>| vendor out there that has ported HDB uucp for the '286 or '386 Xenix
>| packages?
>
>You can get the Trailblazer update from SCO for free. It isn't HDB
>(there are those of us who don't much care for it), but BREAK, PAUSE,
>and most of the needed escapes, such as \s \c \r \t work. I just
>switched to it two days ago because a new system wanted to autobaud on a
>mixture of CR and blanks. So far about 600 calls to 38 systems, still
>looks good.

It does work.

But it doesn't solve the character-at-a-time-slowdown problems.  HDB uucp
would give much better performance when you've got many connections going
at once.

This is from first-hand experience, both here and with our feed.  When our
feed site is going with two or three feeds at once (note: all outbound, and
they have a smart SIO board) the system gets unreasonably slow in
transmission.  This is a Compaq 20Mhz 80386!  No excuse at all for the
slowdown....

Another site with HDB running under SCO doesn't have this problem...

About all I can come up with is that the uucp is doing character-at-a-time
reads 'n' writes, which are nice and inefficient.... (without source, of
course, it's a guess, but probably a good one)

SCO Xenix *badly* needs a better uucp -- it (and the attendant problems with
terminal locking; we ended up doing our own ungetty/getty replacement!) is
the only part of the system that gets a "horrid" rating from us....  a
better uucp (ie: HDB or a late 4BSD version), complete with graded transfers
and *real* port interlocking done in the driver would make one hell of a
difference.

--
Karl Denninger (ihnp4!ddsw1!karl) Data: (312) 566-8912, Voice: (312) 566-8910
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    "Quality solutions for work or play"