cc option ND under SCO's 2.1.3 ? - (nf)

hartl at infovax.UUCP hartl at infovax.UUCP
Fri Jun 3 20:07:00 AEST 1988

I need some help compiling a program consisting of many modules
(nethack) in large memory model under SCO XENIX V 2.1.3.
Since the default data segment was too small to hold all data and
the stack, I tried to use the ND option of the compiler to move
some data in another data segment.
What happened?  Segmentation violation - core dumped!

I finally isolated the problem in the following few lines
(that have obviously nothing to do with nethack):

#include <stdio.h>

main(argc,argv)
int	argc;
char	*argv[];
{
	putchar('a');
}

I played around with a lot of combinations of options to get this
small program to run when compiled with another than the default
data segment in large model.
Here are some combinations I tried:
-O -Ml2 -ND auxdata
   -Ml2 -ND auxdata
-O -Ml2 -ND auxdata -Au
   -Ml2 -ND auxdata -Au
-O -Ml2 -Gt1
   -Ml2 -Gt1

None of these combinations (and many more) worked!

Has anyone an idea of what is going wrong here?
I badly need help! Otherwise I can't play nethack!

Anton Hartl			...!uunet!mcvax!unido!tumult!hartl
				hartl%tumult at unido.uucp