ksh weird files

der Mouse mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Thu Jun 23 03:36:41 AEST 1988

In article <1289 at ark.cs.vu.nl>, maart at cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) writes:
> In article <494 at philmds.UUCP> leo at philmds.UUCP (L.J.M. de Wit) writes:
>> When login or getty or whoever goes to exec the sh script, how does
>> it know which command interpreter to use (I don't think it knows of
>> #! lines, in fact it doesn't even know the c.i. issue) ?
> The magic number #! is well-known to the KERNEL!

This is system-dependent.  BSD kernels (recent ones, at least) do
indeed handle #! on their own; I understand that SV kernels generally
do not.  (I don't know about any others, eg V7/V8/V9, SIII, etc.)

>> And another question: how do you display text with
>> echo << END-OF-TEXT
>> text here
>> END-OF-TEXT

As you probably discovered, you don't: you use cat instead of echo.
Using echo here makes about as much sense as saying

cat textfile | echo

					der Mouse

			uucp: mouse at mcgill-vision.uucp
			arpa: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu