New: afio backups, directory ownership?

The Super User root at libove.UUCP
Fri Jun 17 01:59:54 AEST 1988

In article <11269 at steinmetz.ge.com>, davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
>   Please post the patch. There is a -x option, which I confidently
> tested and found worked... my test was wrong (sorry jay).
> ...although I admit I only use afio when there's no real cpio to be had.
> --
> 	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)
>   {uunet | philabs | seismo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen
> "Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -me

Why do you prefer cpio to afio? My system has a cpio, but it lacks afio's
ability to deal with multiple tape archives, and it has the more verbose
modes, stats, and I believe is slightly more efficient (it has an "old"
mode compatibility, for cpio -c, but otherwise uses its own header format).
While we're at it, afio also has a couple of "protect me from myself"
switches, and the ability (for people with tape drives that can really
move, not floppies like me... *sigh*) to spawn another process to do the
writes.

--
Jay Libove               Internet: libove at cs.cmu.edu libove at andrew.cmu.edu
5313 Ellsworth Avenue              formtek!ditka!libove!libove at pt.cs.cmu.edu