Xenix dialin security

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Wed May 11 06:17:39 AEST 1988

Since you want good and bad logins, I think the easy way is to replace
the login program itself. Here's what I would do:

	rename login to something like real.login
	create a small C program
		open log file
		log date/time
		exec real.login

If you run accounting you can see just the failed attempts by looking
for jobs named login. When login works there's an exec and the process
name changes.

You can write your own login fairly easily, using the system call to
getpass, then convert it by (I can't remember) and check it.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)