Xenix dialin security

Clemens Schrimpe csch at tmpmbx.UUCP
Mon May 9 09:12:19 AEST 1988

ag at portnoy.UUCP (Keith Gabryelski) writes:
{} Sco Xenix does not support any type of login `log'.  The clean way
{} would be to hack /etc/login to log all login attemps.  This would take
{} time and money.
{}
{} An optional way (read "It works, but only sorta") would be to add code
{} to the /etc/cshrc and /etc/profile to log every time they are invoked.
{} /etc/cshrc is sourced every time a login csh is invoked.  Likewise,
{} /etc/profile is sourced every time a login sh is invoked.
Since this will only log SUCCESSFUL logins, you may also have a deeper
look into /etc/wtmp, which does the same - and quite correct.
(Even logs uucico's and otherm stuff, since it's written by getty, login and
 init !!!)

A way to also trace fail-logins could ONLY be achieved, by installing a new
login.

In our company we use a login, which features:

	-	Logging of fail-logins
	-	Restriction of logins depending on the port being used
		and the time. (You may reserve ports for either a list
		of users and/or a list of groups ...)
	-	Limitation of online-time per day.
	-	.hushlogin (quick login without showing /etc/mot[dw] and
		other stuff (last login time etc.) - good for uucp logins)

... plus other fancy stuff :-)

We're currently thinking about selling it, since others do so (have a look
into the THIRD PARTIES PRODUCT DIRECTORY from SCO ...)

If we're NOT going to sell it, I'll post it ...

Clemens Schrimpe, netmbx GbR (Berlin, West-Germany)

UUCP:	csch at tmpmbx	{pyramid|unido}!tmpmbx!csch
BITNET:	csch at db0tui6.BITNET	csch at tub.BITNET
TELEX:	D+186672 net d
FAX:	49303614093
PHONE:	+49-30-332 40 15