ATI EGA Wonder Emulation Mode

John F. Haugh II haugj at pigs.UUCP
Wed May 18 00:19:35 AEST 1988

In article <6856 at watdragon.waterloo.edu>, kkcheng at crocus.waterloo.edu (M.L.T) writes:
> In article <553 at 4gl.UUCP> honzo at 4gl.UUCP (Honzo Svasek) writes:
> >ATI makes a wonderfull EGA card, the EGA Wonder. It emulates EGA color
> >modes on a monochrome monitor. This works very well, but only under DOS.
> Correct me if I am wrong, I thought only the ATI Graphic Solution will emulates
> EGA color modes on a monochrome monitor but not the EGA Wonder.  I want to buy
> the EGA Wonder card and use a monochrome monitor (until I have money to buy an
> EGA monitor), and someone told me that I must use an EGA monitor because
> EGA Wonder will not work with a monochrome monitor.  Is it true?

no, they were incorrect.  i have an ATI wonder board for the '386 which
has been used in ega color mode on a wyse 530 TTL monochrome monitor.  it
was run under both DOS and xenix, although xenix doesn't seem to tolerate
the ATI so well.  next time i rip the machine apart for p.m. i'll try
it out again.  more news then maybe.

the biggest problem i had was not setting switch 8 correctly.  you MUST
(if you only have one monitor at least) disable the softswitch or
whatever they call being able to change monitor types using software.
failure to do this can result in serious damage to your monitor.

- john.
--
 The Beach Bum                                 Big "D" Home for Wayward Hackers
 UUCP: ...!killer!rpp386!jfh                            jfh at rpp386.uucp :DOMAIN

 "You are in a twisty little maze of UUCP connections, all alike" -- fortune