ATI EGA Wonder Emulation Mode

Grant Prellwitz pre1 at sphinx.uchicago.edu
Wed May 18 15:42:36 AEST 1988

In article <6856 at watdragon.waterloo.edu> kkcheng at crocus.waterloo.edu (M.L.T) writes:
>In article <553 at 4gl.UUCP> honzo at 4gl.UUCP (Honzo Svasek) writes:
>>ATI makes a wonderfull EGA card, the EGA Wonder. It emulates EGA color
>>modes on a monochrome monitor. This works very well, but only under DOS.
>
>Correct me if I am wrong, I thought only the ATI Graphic Solution will emulates
>EGA color modes on a monochrome monitor but not the EGA Wonder.  I want to buy
>the EGA Wonder card and use a monochrome monitor (until I have money to buy an
>EGA monitor), and someone told me that I must use an EGA monitor because
>EGA Wonder will not work with a monochrome monitor.  Is it true?
>
> 0 0
>  !      kkcheng at crocus.waterloo.edu
>  @

I can definitely state that you were misinformed (that, or this ATI EGA wonder
board that I am running with a Samsung monochrome monitor is doing funny things
to my eyes:^)  I have to say that I am very pleased with the combination.  I
had an initial incompatibility with the demo that comes with the Microsoft BUS
mouse, but a call to ATI got a new ROM shipped out to me at no charge.  I can
now run MahJongg wonderfully (though I would LOVE to see what it looks like in
color instead of shades of amber:^), as well as using 43-line mode in WS2000,
etc.  When I am using graphics programs I frequently use the Hercules mode,
and it seems to work beautifully too.  I can also, of course, install new
character sets, etc.  Now I'm looking to upgrade to a multisync monitor, so
I can get beautiful colours and even better resolution.

I am interested in the original comment about it not working well in non-DOS
(yes, I KNOW I should say 'MS-DOS' :^) operating systems.  At some point I
would like to get at least Minix up and running, if not a commercial *NIX.  If
I have to spend money to upgrade, I'd rather it be for a laser printer or 386
board, not a replacement for a perfectly good video card.

	Sincerely yours,
	Grant Prellwitz

--
!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pre1          pre1 at sphinx.UChicago.UUCP