CSS Lab Motherboard + SCO Xenix 386

Jack F. Vogel jack at turnkey.TCC.COM
Sun May 15 19:57:36 AEST 1988

In article <193 at milhow1.UUCP> how at milhow1.UUCP (Mike Howard) writes:
>Is anyone running (or know of anyone running) SCO Xenix 386AT
>(system V 2.2.x) on a 'CSS Labs' 386 motherboard?

Mike,
	TCC is a close neighbor (geographically) to CSS Labs and we have
sold a couple of their systems to clients running Xenix386. Overall I have
high recommendations for their systems (or motherboards). Here are a few
items for consideration:

	1) The motherboard holds up to 4Meg with an 8Meg expansion board
	board available. They use 256X4 static column rams instead of simms.
	One problem with this is the shortage of chips at the moment, but then
	this applies to simms as well.

	2) If you specify that it will be running Xenix, they will burn the
	system in running Xenix. I know as I have visited the plant and seen
	the motherboards set up running shell script programs under Xenix386.

	3) The present released motherboard does not have caching, this may be
	a disadvantage but I am not totally convinced about that. I have been
	told by associates that the CSS 386 20Mhz empirically performs better
	than the Compaq 386/20 but this is just hearsay. It is certainly much
	less expensive. Sometime this summer CSS is said to be releasing a new
	motherboard that will implement the Intel cache controller and cache.

	4) The only difference between the 16 and 20Mhz boards are the rating
	of the CPU and a jumper on the motherboard. You could conceivably buy
	a 16Mhz version and later buy a 80386-20 and just change the jumper to
	upgrade to a 20Mhz version. This assumes, of course, that you insist
	on 80nsec ram on the motherboard (something which I recommend anyway).

Overall, I would recommend CSS. Sure, you could buy a 'hotter' system like the
Compaq 386/20 or the new Everex 386-20, but you will pay for the difference and
I have yet to be convinced that UNDER XENIX you are really getting your money's
worth. CSS is a very friendly company in my experience, they have gone out of
their way to help in problems and as I said, your system will actually run
SCO Xenix before it leaves the plant. How many others can say that??

Disclaimer: I in no way represent CSS, I am only a VAR that has done business
and is satisfied with their product.

					Hope this helps,

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA