CSS Lab Motherboard + SCO Xenix 386

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Tue May 17 05:47:15 AEST 1988

In article <337 at conexch.UUCP> root at conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) writes:

| will be running many processes (thus requiring a good deal of RAM), a
| large cache (on the order of 256 K bytes) is superior to the 64 K
| RAM caches currently available on most '386 system boards.

1) so far as I know there is one clone board with 64k cache (two if
Compaq is a clone). It's made by AMI, sole as a board by Mylex, and used
in a lot of clones because it runs well with 16 bit memory.

2) seeing the small improvement of 32k over 64k cache, I'm suspicious
that there is a point of vanishing returns, and it's not very big.

Not that you said anything incorrect, but someone could draw a dubious
conclusion from it.

For information: I ran a benchmark (actually several) comparing an AMI
(16 MHz version), a Compaq 20 MHz, and the new ALR 20386 (20 HMz with
The Compaq was about 10% faster CPU than the AMI, and the ALR was 20%
faster than that. I'm going to wait until the 25 MHz machines are out
before upgrading.

Glad to hear that you like the Everex and CSS for Xenix.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)