Strange modem problem

Macy Hallock macy at fmsystm.UUCP
Wed Aug 16 02:03:01 AEST 1989

In article <21 at dynasys.UUCP> root at dynasys.UUCP (Super user) writes:

>I've got a strange modem problem I thought someone out there might be able to
>help me with.  I'm running Xenix 386 V2.3 on an Everex 386/16.  I have an
>internal 2400baud Everex modem.
    (configuration info deleted...)
>----What happens is that someone calls, I get "Loose cable or noise on dev 8,
>port shut down" when it rings, the modem answers, the two modems connect but at
>300 baud.  No login is given and break doesn't work.

I encountered a similar problem at one time.  SCO has developed a fix for this
known as xnx128 that they distribute via anonymous uucp on machine sosco.

It appears to be caused by the RING output by the modem, amoung other things.
I recommend the fix.

This has been discussed in this group in the past.  Posted here for general
use and reference, because so many people seem to have this problems in one
form or another and do not seem to know what to do.  Further info on the SCO
fixes can bo obtained by uucp'ing /usr/spool/uucppublic/SLS/info from SCO's
machine sosco at 408-425-3502 (2400bps) or 408-429-1786 (Telebit).

SCO has the right idea making this service available.  I wish more
manufacturers/vendors would do this, especially via uucp rather than BBS.

       Macy Hallock               fmsystm!macy at NCoast.ORG
       F M Systems, Inc.          hal!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
       150 Highland Dr.           uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
       Medina, OH 44256           Voice: 216-723-3000 X251
       Disclaimer:                My advice is worth what you paid for it.
       Alt.disclaimer:            Your milage may vary.
       Biz.disclaimer:            My opinions are my own. What do I know?