Tandy order number for the Adap

neese at adaptex.UUCP neese at adaptex.UUCP
Fri Aug 18 00:43:00 AEST 1989

>The change in price of the AT-style adapter (was $300) supposedly comes from
>some new functionality that allows it to work with more 386-mode DOS
>programs.  I cannot really see a reason for the increase since the board
>design was also  cost-reduced.  (Perhaps it is selling well enough to be
>sold at a higher margin.)  In any event, XENIX/UNIX systems should not
>see any differences.

Actually, the new boards do have a feature that is implemented in ISC UNIX.
It is scatter/gather.  The new cards can take a single request for memory that
is scattered all over the place.  This has proven to make an extreme difference
in the performance of the system.  Of course the requests have to be sequential
on the disk for this operation to work.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {merch,texbell,killer}!cpe!adaptex!neese