General Protection Trap

Herb Peyerl root at blender.UUCP
Thu Aug 24 14:29:25 AEST 1989

Once again I turn to the net in what I think is another difficult
question...

I'm running a 10Mhz 0 wait '286 and SCO Xenix 2.2.3 with a 70 meg
drive, 2 meg's of ram, AT-Vantage 4-port board, dual serial
card, 1 floppy, 1 MGA monitor and 1 CGA monitor, 2 modems and
1 terminal...

  (nuffa that), now the problem I'm running into is the following:

Lately beginning about 2 weeks ago, I've been coming home/waking up
to the computer having halted.  All I see on the screen are

"Panic: General Protection trap"
[a bunch of diagnostic register info
 that I should probably have written
 down for just this instance]

"Press any key to reboot
	or
 shutdown system (or whatever)"

  This is beginning to happen quite frequently, at least once a
day for the last few days.  I've tried cleaning Mr. Filesystem
and aside from a few filesize errors, everything seems to be
kosher... I'm blotted the dust out of the inside of the machine
and reseated the Ram chips as well as all of the cards... Even
powered the thing down for an hour... (it hasn't really been
shut off for more than 1 minute in the last 8 months.).  I
haven't changed or added anything new to the system that would
coincide with this problem....

   After RTFM'ing, the manual says only "General protection
trap taken in kernel.  System inconsistency, fatal".  Thanx
a lot.  You get more info on the "<command>: not found" message
than you do on this.

   Software that is running on the machine typically is:
SCO Professional
B-News software but this problem hasn't happened during
	a feed, batching, unbatching, or expiry so I
	doubt this is the problem.
and other generic junk...

   OK, so, enough info... Has anyone encountered this and/or
solved it???  This is really taxing my nerves and I try
to keep this thing reasonably reliable...

adTHANXvance.

--
UUCP: herb at blender.UUCP   ||  ...calgary!xenlink!blender!{herb||root}
ICBM: 51 03 N / 114 05 W