Altos 586 and V20

Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl abcscnge at csuna.csun.edu
Wed Aug 16 16:03:14 AEST 1989

In article <4891 at macom1.UUCP> larry at macom1.UUCP (Larry Taborek) writes:
]Heres kind of a goofy question.  I didn't really know where to
]post it so I hope you xenix users arn't too miffed seeing this in
]your news group.
]
]I have a Altos 586/40.  This machine has a 8086 CPU.  I have
]heard from several people that if you bought a V20 chip and
]plugged it in, the Altos would pick up some speed.
]
]Ok, I mail ordered a 10Mz V20 chip and installed it.  No go.
]Wont boot up.  Sure power comes on, but I never get any of the
]power up diagnostic messages.  I'v tried the reset button, power
]on and off, and reseating the chip, all to no avail.  I take out
]the V20 and re-install the 8086 and it comes right up.
]
]Naturally the question is, whats wrong?  Too fast a chip?  Need
]other chips to help adapt it?  Maby the V20 is bad.  Anyway, if
]anyone out there has any experiece with this, I would appreciate
]some mail.

Your problem is simple.  Someone screwed up by saying V20.  They
meant V30.  V20 is a pin-compatible replacement for the 8088.
							^^^^

The V30 is the replacement for the 8086.  Try a V30 instead.

Scott

--
Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl
UUCP:  ...!sm.unisys.com!csun!csuna.csun.edu!abcscnge