Miniscribe 2180S SCSI drive and SCO Xenix 2.3GT

Jim O'Connor jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Thu Aug 10 23:53:09 AEST 1989

In article <635 at tiamat.fsc.com>, jim at tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) writes:
- Is anyone out there using a Miniscribe 2180S SCSI drive with either 2.2.4
- or 2.3GT Xenix?  I have one that I'm trying to install this weekend, but a
- manual did not come with it (I can probably get one next week, but I'd like
- to get this drive installed this weekend).  I need to know any relevant
- jumper settings to get the drive to work with the AHA-1540 SCSI adapter.
-
- One thing that has me worried, though, is that the drive doesn't seem to
- spin up when the power is turned on, and there is a little green LED on the
- controller board which flashes constantly.  I made have a bad drive.

After some help from Veronica at Miniscribe, we figured out that Jumper 2 must
be removed to disable the "wait for start command to spin up" option.  This
got the drive spinning at power up, and enabled 2.3.2GT to work with it a
little bit.

However, it did not work correctly.  I'm inclined to believe the drive was bad,
but I'm still hoping to get a definitive answer from someone who should know
whether this drive (when operating properly) will co-exist with 2.3.2GT and
the Adaptec host adapter.
James B. O'Connor			jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Filtration Sciences Corporation		615/821-4022 x. 651

*** Altos users unite! mail to "info-altos-request at tiamat.fsc.com" ***