VP/ix Update A installation solved

Steve Hite steve at hite386.UUCP
Wed Aug 9 14:31:30 AEST 1989

   Well, after a few calls and a lot of patience on both sides of the phone
(thanks John Gray!), I got my VP/ix Update A installation problem solved.
I was getting several unresolved symbols during re-linking of the kernel.
It appears that my /usr/sys/mdep/libmdep.a was not "branded" correctly.
This is related to SCO's serialization and activation key procedure.  For
example, you'll notice that if you look on your N3 disk at libmdep.a and
then compare it with the installed copy that they have different sizes
Somehow, somewhere in the past, my libmdep.a got incorrectly branded.

   The solution was to reinstall my 2.3.1 LINK Kit and then install the
UFJ Maintenance Disk, followed by Update A.  The original 2.3.1 libmdep.a
was correctly serialized and UFJ then had no problem re-linking the kernel.
Sure, it took a while (2 days), but we bothed learned something...serial-
ization and activation key problems can account for bad re-links of the
kernel (i.e. unresoved references).  We ran a "sum -r" on the UFJ disks
and they came out the same so we knew we had the same software even though
John was reporting a different size for his /usr/sys/mdep/libmdep.a than
mine (about 3K difference).

   BTW, Update A appears to have solved that nagging "keyboard lag" problem
that made you have to press 2 keys in order for the 1st one to be displayed.

						-Steve