Dialcodes not working in SCO Xenix 2.3.x

Ross Oliver rosso at sco.COM
Tue Aug 8 11:07:04 AEST 1989

In article <1096 at ispi.UUCP> jbayer at ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
>While recently trying to use the Dialcodes part of UUCP on SCO Xenix, I
>found that it doesn't work if you are using the SCO supplied dialers.
>Upon examining the sources I saw that there is no provision in them for
>the dial codes.  It appears that when SCO decided to use their dialers
>instead of the normal HDB they didn't implement the dialcodes source.
>
>Upon examining a 2.2.3 system I saw that the dialers supplied there also
>didn't have the necessary code.  I tried this using different dialers on
>both systems.  I have included below the Systems entry, the Dialcodes
>entry, and the results of the dial attempt.  SCO, any comments?

One of our UUCP support engineers writes:

It is not the function of our Dialer programs to read the Dialcodes file.
Use of the Dialcodes file is accomplished by adding a \T to the end of the
Devices file entry in SCO XENIX Release 2.3. Thus the dialer program is
always passed a valid phone number.

For example, a Systems file entry such as:

     sys Any ACU 9600 cruz5551212 ogin:--ogin: uucp word: pasS

needs to be accompanied by a Devices file entry of:

     ACU tty1A - 300-2400 /usr/lib/uucp/dialTBIT \T

It is the "\T" that enables the reading of the Dialcodes file, which has
as an entry:

     cruz  1408

The dialer program is then passed a valid phone number of 14085551212.

In SCO XENIX Release 2.2.3 the L-dialcodes file is examined by default before
the dialer is invoked.