Problem with Xenix 2.2.1 with 2 Hard Disks

Bob McGowen Wyse Technology Training bob at wyse.wyse.com
Tue Aug 15 04:17:20 AEST 1989

In article <7748 at charlie.OZ> vortex at charlie.UUCP (Mark Gregson) writes:

>	I am trying to add an extra hard disk to my PC at home
>	running Xenix 2.2.1 and I have encountered a wierd
>	problem.
>
>	My main hard disk (device 0) is a 70 MB and I am trying
>	to add a 20 MB hard disk (device 1) to run MS-DOS.
>
>	The problem I am getting is that when Xenix boots and
>	I get the familiar "Xenix Boot:" message and I enter
>	"dos" to get it to boot from the second hard disk
---deleted---

The problem is that the boot environment MUST be on the primary
disk.  The method I have used to achieve the environment you
want is to create a very small DOS partition on the first disk.
This is just enough cylinders to provide the space needed for
the two DOS hidden files, command.com, autoexec.bat and
config.sys.  Everything in these last two files should be set
to point to the second hard disk:

	devices=d:*.sys
   or
	path=d:\dos....

The last line in autoexec.bat is:

	d:

which puts you on the second disk to run dos.

I hope this helps.

Bob McGowan  (standard disclaimer, these are my own ...)
Customer Education, Wyse Technology, San Jose, CA
..!uunet!wyse!bob
bob at wyse.com