ESDI controller recommendations

Bruce A. McIntyre bruce at mdi386.UUCP
Sun Aug 20 11:28:37 AEST 1989

In article <8771 at saturn.ucsc.edu>, gary at saturn.ucsc.edu writes:
> We have a 386 running SCO XENIX 2.3.2 with two CDC Wren III
> (ESDI) disks controlled currently by a WD1007a-WA2.  The controller
> is in need of being replaced.  Does anyone have a similar setup
> and/or have recommendations for a reliable disk controller?  The
> following controllers have been recommended: WD1007-WA2, DTC 60280,
> and the Adaptec.  Any suggestions as to the most reliable?  In the
> near future we plan on replacing one of the disks with an ~300Mb drive.

The Caching disk controllers from Distributed Processing Technology would
be an excellent choice for your application.  With one of these, the
average access time of your drives would approach .5 ms (not 5, but .5)
and with the cache being able to be set up to 4MB, it would turn that
300Mb drive into a real screamer.

Contact:
	Distributed Processing Technology
	(407)830-5522
	~or
	Computer Source in New York...

They also offer an add on board for disk mirroring, and can support
any variation of ESDI, SCSI or MFM drive.  Since the definition of the
drive to the PC can be redefined from the actual physical drive config,
with the controller doing the translation, you can use virtually any drive.

The controller also does the error correction and bad tracking...

Give them a call.

bruce