ESDI controller recommendations

Jonathan Bayer jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Sat Aug 19 22:15:02 AEST 1989

gary at saturn.ucsc.edu writes:

>We have a 386 running SCO XENIX 2.3.2 with two CDC Wren III
>(ESDI) disks controlled currently by a WD1007a-WA2.  The controller
>is in need of being replaced.  Does anyone have a similar setup
>and/or have recommendations for a reliable disk controller?  The
>following controllers have been recommended: WD1007-WA2, DTC 60280,
>and the Adaptec.  Any suggestions as to the most reliable?  In the
>near future we plan on replacing one of the disks with an ~300Mb drive.

The adaptec may be a little faster, but I would stick with the WD1007-WA2
because of formatting problems.  Specifically, your disks are currently
working using a WD1007aa-WA2.  If you replace the controller with a
different brand you will most likely have to do a low-level format of
the drive.

Hopefully you have a current backup :-)

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.