Problem with Xenix 2.2.1 with 2 Hard Disks

Matthew Thurmaier thurm at shorty.CS.WISC.EDU
Tue Aug 15 08:57:06 AEST 1989

In article 7743 Mark Gregson writes:

>    I am trying to add an extra hard disk to my PC at home
>    running Xenix 2.2.1 and I have encountered a wierd
>    problem.
>
>    My main hard disk (device 0) is a 70 MB and I am trying
>    to add a 20 MB hard disk (device 1) to run MS-DOS.
>
>    The problem I am getting is that when Xenix boots and
>    I get the familiar "Xenix Boot:" message and I enter
>    "dos" to get it to boot from the second hard disk
>    which is formatted under dos, it tells me that it
>    cannot find a dos partition. It appears to me that to
>    get xenix to boot the dos partition on the second
>    physical drive there must be some kind of a xenix
>    partition on that drive.
>
>    The ideal situation that I would like would be for
>    xenix to be on the main hard disk and for the second
>    hard disk to be totally dos.
>
>    Has anyone got any ideas on this matter??

First, sorry for posting the whole article again net-land, but i didn't see a
convenient editing for this one.

The answer Mark, is that this:

1.)    In order for the "dos" boot to work for the xenix "boot :" prompt, there
    MUST be a DOS partition on the FIRST hard disk, which is formatted w/
    DOS's "format /S".  The /S is MANDATORY, as it places the DOS system files
    on the disk.
2.)    So, your solution is simple (if you have a tape drive, which you should).
    a.) make a level-0 backup of your 70Mb. drive.
    b.) make a bootable-rootable 1.2Mb. diskette (this will have your current
        kernel and your current devices (like your tape device) on it.
    c.) mount the bootable-rootable on /mnt w/ "mount /dev/fd096 /mnt" and
        type "cp /bin/restor* /mnt/bin" to copy the restore programs over.
    d.) unmount the floppy w/ "umount /dev/fd096" and reboot your machine.
    e.) reformat your 70Mb. drive
    f.) install a 1 or 2 Mb. DOS partition on your 70Mb. drive, formatted w/
        "/S".
    g.) install the base system w/ the installation set from SCO.
    h.) reboot from your bootable-rootable floppy.
    i.) type "restor Rf /dev/<tape> /dev/hd0root" - this restores the tape
        to the root file system on the first hard disk (bet ya didn't know
        about /dev/hd0root on the bootable-rootable did ya? :-))
    j.) your XENIX system is set, now go fix your dos partition to automatically
        change your drive to d: in autoexec.bat.

No Problem! (Or that's what they call me... No Problem Thurmaier :-))

Perhaps SCO has some comments on this also, but I think I got everything.

Good Luck,
Matthew.

P.S.  DOS = Dumb Operating System,
      PCDOS = Partially Complete Operating System
      ... So why do you WANT DOS ANYWAY?
Snail Mail:                                 E Mail:
Matthew J. Thurmaier                ...!{allegra,harvard,seismo}!shorty!matt
The Computer Classroom              matt at shorty.wisc.edu
6701 Seybold Road, Ste. 122
Madison, WI 53719
(608) 271-2171
                                  "why am I ALWAYS going somewhere?" >>-matt-->