Using the DigiComm multi-port board with SCO Xenix

Chip Rosenthal chip at vector.Dallas.TX.US
Thu Aug 17 07:15:42 AEST 1989

{{{ followups redirected to comp.unix.xenix, where this seems to belong }}}

In article <65 at nstar.UUCP> root at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>Is the difference between the smart boards and "dumb" boards really that
>noticable under SCO Xenix?

Absolutely, positively, yes.

I run a line printing server on my serial lines, and connect the serial
lines to DOS peecees.  To the peecees, it looks as if there is a Laserjet
sitting on the end of the COM port, but it is actually a XENIX box spooling
stuff to the printer.

I prototyped the server with a dumb COM card, found it extremely prone
to losing characters, right down to 2400bps.  The reason is that the
serial connection is the usual three-line, with no flow control.  The
problem disappeared when I implemented it with a smart card.  I run
it at 9600bps reliably, even on a heavily loaded machine.  I haven't
tried faster only because the DOS end doesn't support it.

BTW...I'm using a Digiboard for this, and am extremely happy with it.  I
don't know if their board is the best thing on the market technically.
In fact, mine is a crufty, old COM/8i.  But the clincher has been my
experiences with their support folks.  I have found them to be very
responsive, and their support policy is great (basically, free support).
--
Chip Rosenthal / chip at vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337
"I wish you'd put that starvation box down and go to bed" - Albert Collins' Mom