sitename > 7 chars. (was: SCO Xenix 2.3.2 uucp bug?)

N. Del More noel at ubbs-nh.MV.COM
Tue Aug 29 09:29:28 AEST 1989

In article <10548 at dasys1.UUCP> jpr at dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:
>In article <106 at ubbs-nh.MV.COM> noel at ubbs-nh.MV.COM (N. Del More) writes:
>>I believe I may have discovered a bug in SCO Xenix 2.3.2GT's uucp.
>>I have a connection whose system name is eight characters in length,
>>however, uucp shortens the system name to seven characters, ie. any mail
>>or files sent to "trashbin" are qued up as "trashbi".
>
>I haven't experienced core dumps, but this is indeed a horror. If the
>sitename being shortened is your own, then putting MYNAME=mylongname into
>the Permissions file will work.

It is not my system name that is being shortened, but the name of a
system connected to me.  Have not tried setting the site name to one
greater than 7 characters, however, it does "distress" me that I am not
able to define the site name as anything less than 6 characters, ie.
ubbs or bios are totally out as far as I know.

The MYNAME="alias" is to my knowledge useful only if you want to "lie"
about your actual system name, or to talk to yourself for the purposes of
debugging, eg.  setting up a telebit or such.

>I went through my paths file and found more than a trivial number of sites
>which had the same first seven letters.
>eklektic
>eklektik
>microso
>microsoft
>Apparently we all need to complain - loudly - to SCO....

I do want to emphasize that I became aware of the problem when I upgraded
to 2.3.2 from 2.3.1, I was not present, to the best of my knowledge, in
the former.

Since I originally posted the article I have been advised that the core
dumps are due to a bug uusched, and may be "cured" by re-installing the
2.3.1 uusched.

Also, the problem with shortening the system name seems only to be a real
problem when the site in question is being polled (such as it is in this
case).

I need to find the time to do some more experimenting in order to
determine all of the facts, as it is now, it is merely a report of a
noted observation.

Noel