hard disk as archive

Bob McGowen Wyse Technology Training bob at wyse.wyse.com
Wed Aug 9 11:19:15 AEST 1989

In article <275 at mlfarm.UUCP> ron at mlfarm.UUCP (Ronald Florence) writes:
>I would appreciate advice on using a second hard disk as a backup
>device.  (This is not a "mirroring" setup.)  The first hard disk is
>divided into two file systems: root and /dev/u.  The second hard disk
>is a single system: /dev/archive.  Can and/or should I use the restore
>and backup commands?  Cpio?  Or should I use the copy command to
>create a copy of the root and /dev/u filesystems on /dev/archive?
>
>Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.

The backup command works on individual file systems so if you were
to use it your second disk must be in two parts also, one for each
of the fs's on the first disk.  Also, restoring a single file from
a backup done this way is  is "moderately" difficult.  Given that
the second disk is a single system and that cpio will work in the
"hierarchical" directory structure, my choice would be cpio.

I would not tend to use the XENIX copy command since it would
require a file system structure as its destination, which would
need to be mounted onto the existing structure, which could lead
to loops if your are not careful.

Hope this is helpful  :-)

Bob McGowan  (standard disclaimer, these are my own ...)
Customer Education, Wyse Technology, San Jose, CA
..!uunet!wyse!bob
bob at wyse.com