tar under SCO Xenix

Bruce A. McIntyre bruce at mdi386.UUCP
Mon Aug 28 00:22:16 AEST 1989

In article <3195 at wasatch.utah.edu>, kessler%cons.utah.edu at wasatch.utah.edu (Robert R. Kessler) writes:

> We are running on a PS/2 Model 80, using SCO Xenix 2.2.x.  We have an
> Arnet Smartport from which we run a half a dozen terminals.  The problem
> is that when someone does a tar (to our Mountain tape drive), all of
> the devices connected to the Arnet board hang up.  So, we have to have
> everyone log out, do the tar, then everyone logs back in.  SCO claims
> that tar uses so much of the system resources that the Arnet board
> gets lost.

We use the Arnet Smartport on various machines, with the Archive board...
I have not seen any of the machines exhibit this behavior.

The machines we use are:
1. Compaq deskpro 386/20
2. Mylex 386/16

Since the Arnet board doesn't use interrupts, there should be no real
problem with the tape drive.  Make sure that there is no other problem,
like shared memory being trashed because of cache, etc.
bruce