Writing serial device drivers

Bob McGowen Wyse Technology Training bob at wyse.wyse.com
Sat Aug 5 02:38:07 AEST 1989

In article <9731 at alice.UUCP> debra at alice.UUCP () writes:
>In article <1461 at crdgw1.crd.ge.com> davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>>
>>  I can't think of any reason for a program to bypass the queue and
>>access the printer directly, and would not do it myself.

I agree!!!  Except in the special case when you are first setting up
the printer and need to check the physical connection, so you WANT
to bypass the spooler and go directly to the device.
---deleted---

>Then when i wanted to print bitmaps (i.e. Tex output in my case)
>i did a cat > /dev/lp to bypass the tab expansion.
>
>Paul.

I am assuming that the spooler in question supports multiple devices
and queues.  You should just set up a second printer pointing at the
same output device.  This gives you another interface file which you
can edit as needed and provides lp spooler control on the output
(it is smart enough to queue alternate requests.  I have one dot
matrix printer set up so I can access it in draft, compressed or
near letter quality as needed using the lp command's -dpr_name
option.)--

	****you will not interfer with anyone elses' output and they
	will not interfere with yours!****
Bob McGowan  (standard disclaimer, these are my own ...)
Customer Education, Wyse Technology, San Jose, CA
..!uunet!wyse!bob
bob at wyse.com