Writing serial device drivers

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Thu Aug 3 23:44:44 AEST 1989

In article <1461 at crdgw1.crd.ge.com> davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:

>  I can't think of any reason for a program to bypass the queue and
>access the printer directly, and would not do it myself.

Well, I have been using an old (second hand) Epson MX 100 for a long time.
It didn't want to print tabs (maybe i could set tabs, but they were not
set to every 8 chars by default anyway).
So I had the spooler execute pr -t -e to expand the tabs.

Then when i wanted to print bitmaps (i.e. Tex output in my case)
i did a cat > /dev/lp to bypass the tab expansion.

Paul.