UNIX-like crypt function

Andrew Boardman amb at cs.columbia.edu
Tue Aug 22 05:16:26 AEST 1989

In article <17369 at ut-emx.UUCP> nghiem at walt.cc.utexas.edu (Alex Nghiem) writes:
>Didn't I read somewhere that Unix encryption was restricted to
>U.S.A. and not for export? What happens if the function gets
>in the "wrong" hands through the network?

Not a lot.  Picture this: person who is in another country with his
machine on the Internet ftp's the appropriate crypt binary (or source
if he has it) via one of his accounts in the US.  It's quite probably
happened quite a few times; it's not a high-security item.  It's just
Officially Frowned Upon for some terribly good reason which escapes me
at the moment.  (This last bit was explained to me by an ex-NSA friend
who's now at DEC of all places.)

Andrew Boardman
amb at cs.columbia.edu
(for those that must, ab4 at cunixc on bitnet)