VP/iX Update installation problem

Steve Hite steve at hite386.UUCP
Sun Aug 6 14:09:56 AEST 1989

   Well, I waited as all of you VP/iX users have for SCO's Update A.
No problem...don't mind waiting for software that's been well-tested.
I've never had an installation problem with SCO's software until now.  Maybe
I'm not alone.

   I have SCO Xenix 2.3.1 and the 2.3 Development System.  The docs say
that I need to install the Maintenance Disks first to relink the kernel so
as to provide the support necessary for Update A to run properly.  The
install script worked fine...it asked me (y/n...do I really have a
choice? :-)) if I wished to relink the kernel now and said yes.  Here's
what I got...

   Re-linking the kernel...

   ld : error:  Unresolved externals:

   _wsideln in file(s):
    ../mdep/libmdep.a(main.c)
   _intln in file(s):
    ../mdep/libmdep.a(main.c)
   _gdcsb in file(s):
    ../mdep/libmdep.a(main.c)
   _Legal in file(s):
    ../mdep/libmdep.a(main.c)
   _ambuf in file(s):
    ../mdep/libmdep.a(main.c)
   _fdptr in file(s):
    ../mdep/libmdep.a(main.c)

   [...some messages saying that I need to use Configure to change the
   [default configuration...]

   Did this happen to anyone else with 2.3.1 Xenix and the 2.3 Development
System?   I've never changed libmdep.a in my life...honest injun.   Oh well,
guess I have to get on the SCO phone tag list again on Monday.   Thanks for
any replies in advance.