Kernel Warning?

Scott O'Connell scotto at crash.cts.com
Fri Dec 15 12:08:56 AEST 1989

In article <841 at stsim.ocs.com> glenn at stsim (glenn ford) writes:
>I am running SCO386 2.3.1 xenix and get the following warning messages
>displayed to root, and also in /usr/adm/messages:
>kernel: WARNING: no file
>
>any idea what this means? thanks in advance

You're not running Informix, are you?   We ran into this problem when
we started using Informix SQL and 4GL.  Evidentally, each time an
Informix process would be executed from their menu system it would open
serveral files.  SCO support helped us with with right away.  Raise the
NFILE and NINODE parameters and relink the kernel.

I have 8 users, normally all using Informix, and have had to raise the
NFILE and NINODE to 600.  SCO said the 400 recommended limit in the
config can be ignored as long as you have sufficent memory.

--
Scott O'Connell		UUCP: {nosc, ucsd, hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!ipars!scotto
			ARPA: crash!ipars!scotto at nosc.mil
			INET: scotto at ipars.cts.com