Looking for smart serial ports for Unix

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.UUCP
Tue Dec 12 22:53:55 AEST 1989

> Remember that Xenix and SCO Unix are not exact the same on getty and
> uucp.  Be sure you have experience with SCO Unix, NOT Xenix.

Under Xenix, I never found anything that worked perfect with bi-directional
communications - except dumb boards which didn't use a vendor supplied driver.

Currently as you know I am running ISC with a Comtrol Hostess 8 port board
and the normal COM ports - and I have only minor problems with 4 modems
locked at 19,200 baud (loosing characters - under heavy loads - and this
is a 25 mhz 386 with 4 megs of RAM).  My plans are to replace all the
UARTS with 16550AN's and modify  one of the public domain drivers to implement
FIFO buffers under ISC 2.02.  I've been told that the Jim Murray driver
works fine under ISC 1.06 - and might try it under 2.02.

--
Larry Snyder, Northern Star Communications, Notre Dame, IN
uucp: root at nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!root