Looking for smart serial ports for Unix

Phil Hughes fyl at ssc.UUCP
Wed Dec 13 03:49:02 AEST 1989

In article <8912111609.AA05215 at decwrl.dec.com>, paine at fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:

> I have SCO Unix 3.2, Telebit T2500 and Hayes 2400.  I am still looking
> for smart or multiple serial ports board.   I have Arnet Smartport but
> this has alot of problem getting modem to work on different baudrates.
> Getty got locked up on every second or third calls.  Arnet Tech support
> sounds rather gloomy and he suggests that I should run on same baudrate.
> I have also tried in Xenix but it is still problem with gettydefs.
> Both modems works fine with regular com port but I need four serial
> ports.

I am running XENIX not SCO UNIX but have been using the Arnet Smartport
for ages with really good luck (after I helped them debug the drivers :-)).
We have two Trailblazer+ modems on the board as well as a 2400 baud and
local terminals.  No problems.

Why do you want to run different baud rates?  One of the advantages of the
Telebits is that you can talk to the modem at one baud rate and let them
worry about what speed to talk to the outside world.  We run them at
19.2Kb.

--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    amc-gw!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl