Turning Security Off on SCO Unix?

Avi Freedman freedman at euclid.math.temple.edu
Sun Dec 17 02:12:39 AEST 1989

	I have heard that it is faster to turn off security on SCO
	Unix.  Is this true?  (For filesystem acces, especially?)
	Besides, it really annoyed me when I told one of my users
	"Oh, just get the .newsrc in my directory ~freedman" and
	it was mode 600.  It says something in the manuals about
	leaving the modes at 600 for auth to work.  If I relax
	security, should changing this work fine?

	By the way... The new HardCache/ESDI controller from Compu-
	Add is quite awesome.  With the cache turned OFF, I bench-
	marked 750K/sec reads under DOS with my Priam 630 330MB
	drive (haven't tried under Unix yet), and with just 256K it
	claims (according to on-board statistics) a hit ratio of 93%,
	just from read-ahead, I imagine.  I'm sorely tempted to bump
	the thing up to 4MB!!!

			- Avi Freedman
			freedman at euclid.math.temple.edu