IRQ 2 and tape drives

James O'Connor jim at bahamut.fsc.com
Fri Dec 15 23:43:26 AEST 1989

In article <257 at consult.UUCP>, bob at consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) writes:
> In article <135 at wyn386.UUCP> danielw at wyn386.UUCP (Daniel Wynalda) writes:
> >I have an archive tape drive controller and archive tape drive (60MB drive)
> >IRQ 2 on the jumper and for the installation of the tape drive.  For TYPE
>
> Your problem is probably in the mkdev tape, you should specify the
> IRQ as 25 and everything should be fine.  IRQ 2 is a special interrupt and
> must be defined differently to the mkdev routine.  Change the driver to 25
> and give it a shot, leaving the hardware the same, and you should be cooking.

I tried using INT 2 on my Archive controller, too, and never could get it
to work, so I took out a parallel port card, and used INT 5.  Then, later,
I had trouble with a WD 8003 ethernet board, and needed to run it on INT 2,
but luckily the documentation with SCO TCP/IP specifically mentioned that
if you set the hardware for INT 2, that you had to tell the software INT 25.
I wish the Archive installation docs had mentioned this, my headache back
then would have been much less severe.
James B. O'Connor			Work:	jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Data Processing Manager  		Play:   jim at bahamut.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		UUCP:	uunet!tiamat!jim