Multiple CPUs: was: Re: Experience with SCO UNIX 5.3

Paul E. Berg paulb at zds-ux.UUCP
Fri Dec 22 07:07:21 AEST 1989

In article <1909 at crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
> >In article <5759 at cps3xx.UUCP> usenet at cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
> >
> >| What product is this? I haven't seen anything in my SCO price lists or
> >| other info that says they have a multiple CPU product.
> >
> >  It was demonstrated at UNIX Expo, among other places. WIll handle 386
> >or 486, although I'm told that the 1st CPU must be 386. This was
> >developed for the Zenith (I believe it's called the model Z1000)
> >multi-processor machine. Now that ZDS has been sold I don't know the
> >status of the project.
>
> The product demonstrated at UNIXExpo was by Corollory, and as I
> understood it, the SCO product was hardware-specific for that. You may
> only be able to get it from Corrolory distributors, but I'm not sure.

Zenith Data Systems is currently shipping the Z-1000, a 386 multiprocessor
based on technology developed by Corollary, Inc. which includes a SCO XENIX
2.3.2 GT based kernel.  The Z-1000 configurations are 2 to 6 CPUs (each with
64KB of local cache), up to 64 MB of EDAC (Error Detecting And Correcting)
memory, an integral UPS power supply, SCSI (Adaptec 1542) host adapter,
1 to 4 SCSI (150, 300, and 600MB) disks in the main drive bay, a 150MB Archive
tape drive, floppy disk, and up to 160 tty devices...  Additional SCSI devices
are supported by a second Adaptec host adapter, "mkdev hd/tape" can configure
9 disks, 2 cartridge tapes, and 2 reel-to-reel tapes as shipped.  The Z-1000
supports additional ISA bus cards with standard SCO XENIX device drivers.
Standard SCO software packages are used on the system, including SCO XENIX
TCP/IP, XenixNet, Development System, Text Processing, and Office Portfolio.

whew... sounds like an add...
The SCO XENIX OS for the Z-1000 is not listed in SCO price sheets because
it is a specific version for the Z-1000 and it is bundled with the
Z-1000 hardware -- if you can use it you already have it.

SCO announced its MPX extension to SCO UNIX System V/386 -- this product
uses Corollary Inc. technology -- I believe announced availability is in
1st quarter 1990...

In article <103254 at ti-csl.csc.ti.com>, markus at ti.com (Markus N. Richardson) writes:

> Any information whose UNIX kernel SCO is licensing this time around?  Or
> is this a flavor of the ISC System V.3.2 UNIX one?

That's a little rough...  SCO has their own system software group that
started with standard AT&T UNIX System V.3.2 -- when/if you get into it
I think you'll find that it differs from the AT&T release about as much as
ISC does, only in different places.  BUT it does run all the same binary
apps that AT&T and ISC run (given appropriate system/package support).
  /|  )        /)     /   '    /|  )               Paul E. Berg
 / |-'__      //     /--      / |-<   _  __  _     Zenith Data Systems
                                             /|    voice (616) 982-5124
                                            (/     fax   (616) 982-5690