Multiple CPUs: was: Re: Experience with SCO UNIX 5.3

Dave Fenske davef at lakesys.lakesys.com
Sat Dec 23 01:08:45 AEST 1989

In article <1951 at crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
>In article <103254 at ti-csl.csc.ti.com> markus at ti.com (Markus N. Richardson) writes:
>
>| Any information whose UNIX kernel SCO is licensing this time around?  Or
>| is this a flavor of the ISC System V.3.2 UNIX one?
>
>  The kernel seems to be Xenix 386. I believe that the company who did
>the port is called CONSENSYS, but I don't have the info right here. The
>port was done for the Zenith Z-1000 multiprocessor system.
>--

The product in question is called SCO Unix/MPX.  It should be available early
1990, perhaps Feb or Mar.

The company that wrote the extensions to Xenix is named Corollary.  They have
been building their own boards based on 286 processors and using the kernel
extensions for several years now.  Yes, SCO is licensing the technology from
Corollary.

Zenith has been selling a 386 multi-processor system for a year now.

Compaq has announced a new computer called the SystemPro which contains two
processors and will use this new Unix version to "acheive truly symmetric
multi-prossing" according to Compaq and SCO.  As a disclaimer, I must say that
I am by no means an expert on what is or is not symmetric, so perhaps someone
else might clear this matter up.

Several other computer mfgs are also releasing multi-processor systems which
are built around the 386 and 486 chips.

DF