ST-251 Drives as RLL?

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Sat Dec 16 13:36:02 AEST 1989

neal at mnopltd.UUCP writes:
>->good to reformat an MFM drive as RLL or not.  I am interested if anyone
>->out there has taken an Seagate ST-251 42MB 40ms MFM drive, and formatted
>
>Yes. This will work.  For 5 months and 27 days.   It will roll over and die
>with skillions of bad blocks at 6 months.   Anyone who tells you otherwise
>is either a computer dealer who has been in business for less than 6 months
>or someone who doesn't really use his machine.
>
>(Yarrg! Flames! Arf!)
>
>Okay; maybe it will work a little longer.  But make real frequent backups.

Heh, I'd love to hear how you got at that exact period of time.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | My opinions are exactly that,
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | mine.  Bill Gates couldn't buy
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com            | it, but he could rent it.  :)
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca