ST-251 Drives as RLL?

Kory Hamzeh kory at avatar.UUCP
Thu Dec 21 06:19:25 AEST 1989

In article <1933 at crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
>  While ANY MFM drive can fail with RLL, I have never seen the problem
>you describe. They usually die within a day or run until they die of
>natural causes. Obviously every drive has a finite lifespan, no matter
>how it's used.
>--
>bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)

Thats not true. I had several different kinds of MFM drives sold to me
as RLL. They would all work fine for about a couple of months, then they
would develope a couple of new bad sectors a day. Just because the drive
works for a day or two, it doesn't mean that there will be long term
reliability.

Kory Hamzeh             UUCP: avatar!kory or ..!uunet!psivax!quad1!avatar!kory
                    INTERNET: avatar!kory at quad.com